Periods tend to cause multiple symptoms like mood changes, cramps, and tenderness of the breast.
The crucial symptoms of heavy painful periods that you must never ignore includes:
Alerting Signs of Period That You Should Not Ignore
Long-Lasting or heavy menstrual bleeding is also called menorrhagia. The conditions that can be described as heavy bleeding includes:
- Having periods that last for more than 7 days
- Need to change the tampon or pad during nighttime
- Bleed through the tampon or pad within the 2 hours
- Discharge blood clots that are larger than a quarter or a larger coin
Heavy painful periods can be caused due to hormonal imbalance or any of the health issues that affect the uterus.
Vaginal bleeding or spotting between periods is an indication of health ailments such as
- Cervical cysts
- Benign uterine cysts
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Endometriosis: in this condition, the tissues that line the inner wall of the uterus also begin to grow in the outer wall of the uterus and other areas.
- Changes to the hormonal levels in the body during perimenopause, puberty and menopause
In very rare cases, bleeding after menopause, or between periods is a sign of ovarian, cervical or uterine cancer. In this case, you must seek treatment for heavy painful periods.
Excessive exercise, stress, and certain birth control could all cause disruptions in the normal menstrual cycle and result in a missed or skipped period. If it is temporary, then your period would return to normal by the next month.
Also, pregnancy causes the periods to cease, and it doesn’t resume till breastfeeding is complete.
Amenorrhea is the medical term to describe the stopping of periods prior to menopause. A person might suffer from amenorrhea if:
- She has not had her periods by 15 years of age
- She has missed more than 3 periods continuously
According to laparoscopic hysterectomy surgery experts, The causes of amenorrhea include:
- The severe chronic stress
- Extreme weight loss or gain
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- An eating disorder like anorexia nervosa
You can expect mild tenderness in the breast during these periods.
However, you need to consult the doctor if
- The breast tenderness becomes severe
- It occurs at different times during the monthly cycle
- It is accompanied by other symptoms like changes to the skin or nipple of the breast, or a lump in the breast
Few people suffer from diarrhoea or upset stomach during these periods. This happens mostly due to releasing of a specific chemical in the body called prostaglandins from the uterus. This chemical causes lightheadedness, nausea, and diarrhoea.
If you experience unusual symptoms of the periods or if the diarrhoea is severe, you must consult the doctor for period pain treatment.
On a few occasions, clotting is normal occurrence during menstrual bleeding, especially during the days that have a heavier flow. In general, you can expect clots that are smaller than the quarter to pass with the flow, especially during the start of the periods.
If you notice clots that are larger than the quarter or appear more frequently than normal, then it is an indication of an underlying health condition, such as:
- Adenomyosis: the growth of the tissues that line the uterus through the uterus wall.
Also, if a person is pregnant or suspects being pregnant passes the blood clots during bleeding. This is an indication of miscarriage or loss of pregnancy. In this case, you must seek immediate doctor consultation.
If you want to know more about laparoscopic hysterectomy surgery, you must visit Well Women Clinic today.