Having a baby is not an easy task. A woman has to go through a lot in order to bear a baby. Not all pregnancies are smooth and easy and some are really tough to manage. These are those high-risk pregnancies that involve a lot of issues. Doctors refer to these pregnancies as high-risk pregnancies as they involve a lot of complications. These complications can affect both the mother and the baby. Women who have high-risk pregnancies require the guidance and management of specialist doctors.
In most cases, a high-risk pregnancy is the result of a medical condition present before the pregnancy.
Here are some other risk factors that can cause complications in your pregnancy:
1. Older age: Women older than 35 are at a higher risk during pregnancy than the others. This is age related risk and can be avoided if you conceive a child at a younger age.
2. Lifestyle habits: Smoking and drinking alcohol can also cause risks in pregnancy. These are lifestyle choices and can be avoided if women choose to change their lifestyle.
3. Medical issues: Hypertension, diabetes and other chronic disorders can also cause complications in pregnancy. These risks need to be dealt by specialist doctors.
4. Surgical complications: if you’ve had any surgeries previously, they can also pose risks during pregnancy.
5. Complications related to pregnancy: Some risks are directly associated with pregnancy. They include placenta position and fetus growth. You need to be extra cautious during your pregnancy if you want to avoid these risks.
Ways to avoid these risks and have a healthy pregnancy
Doctors at private gynaecology clinic London suggest some tips to have a healthy pregnancy. These tips can help you lead a healthy life and deliver a healthy baby.
1. Schedule an appointment with the doctor prior to conception
It is a good practice to consult your doctor before you think of getting pregnant. This will give you time to prepare yourself for the pregnancy. This step is really important if you already have a medical condition that can pose risks during pregnancy.
2. Prenatal care is imperative
It is important to monitor your and baby’s health during pregnancy. You should go for checkups regularly. If at any time, the doctor feels that you are having any complications, he will suggest you treatment.
3. Eat healthy
Eating habits play a crucial role in determining the success of your pregnancy. You should be aware of your body’s needs during pregnancy. This includes eating all the supplements needed by your body during pregnancy. You need to take extra care of yourself during this period. Consult a nutritionist at the London gynaecology clinic to know more about a balanced and nutritional diet.
If you are having a high-risk pregnancy, you should also get yourself checked for any possible health issues. These tests should be performed timely and regularly. Go for routine screening tests and any other specific tests prescribed by your healthcare provider.
Have a healthy and happy pregnancy!